To help users discover List Reordering
- an informational message is available
- hover text is on by default and is customizable
- the mouse changes to a pointer
- Indicate drop target with arrow and red line. These are configurable and can be turned and off. They are on by default.
- Mouse becomes a hand while dragging.
- The object being dragged is viewed as "ghost" avatar. It should be slightly opaque so the item underneath are in sight.
- Leave blank space where object was picked up from.
- If number ordering is on, the number changes as the avatar is dragged to indicate the potential location (so there are 2 items with the same number). Once the object is dropped, all other numbers update themselves.
To help user follow moved object:
- Add a slight opaque highlight to item being moved.
- Once dropped, slowly fade out the highlight over 2 seconds.
For longer lists, it is easier for users to reorder using numbers. Provide a configuration add-on to the component to allow users to change the order of a list via numbering.
- Display current order to users in text entry fields for each item.
- Allow user to change order by entering a new number. On save (clicking out of field or enter), the item moves to its new location and all other numbers are updated respectively.
- Make "undo last move" and "undo all moves" available after user has reordered.
- "Undo last move" undoes one move. It will then be disabled until the next move.
- "Undo all moves" undoes all moves in this session.