Alan, Colin, Gregor, Jutta, James, Liam
Juliana sends regrets (poor conference hotel wi-fi) and the following update via Slack: "We are adjusting the work plan with the new information that Jutta sent to us about the budget, and I will put together, as soon as I came back to Colombia, the documents that Jess required in her last email."
Gregor Moss is a new developer at the IDRC who's been working with Alan on the web storytelling tools described at SJRK Web Storytelling Tools
Storytelling Tool Discussion
COLIN gave an introduction on this theme
- expressing creatively within a community is a prerequisite for participation in the community
- we still have problems getting stories on the web - information about our emerging groups
- choice between expensive / technically complex & popular but proprietary platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
JAMES: do we want to test tools with youth?
- COLIN: yes! even if very sketchy; we need to surface needed features like translation and localization
- JAMES: from the African perspective, storytelling was a way in which different generations passed on knowledge, history
- "when you tell someone to tell a story, they will be free"
- a tool to bring the voices at the margins to the centre
- environmental facilitators
- "when you look at the subject of exclusion"
- "it's not just because of personality that we can't participate, but because of the existing environment"
- trying to work both on environment (platforms, facilitating communication)
- an environmental facilitator fixes a mismatch
ALAN: what other things should this tool have?
- LIAM: one of the pieces we had thought about working on was video storytelling - adding that functionality would be useful?
- JUTTA: scaffolds for text such as grammar, spellchecking, glossaries
- COLIN: we expect to provide this via UIO+ and other means; we anticipate having sound, video, other means in addition to text
- fall back to supporting low bandwidth / mobile browsers / media
- JUTTA: will we get into co-construction of stories; multiple authors, adding components, collaborative authoring
- COLIN: this would be huge - different perspectives
- JUTTA: would be good to collaborate with the Rhebus work we're doing for FLOE; annotation, collaboration, etc
- JAMES: if someone can't write, what about drawing or sketching stories? Different options for telling a story.
- trying to put the story into visual explanation - easier to understand?
- ALAN: so maybe things like simplification, summary, rendition from picture symbols....
COLIN: can we set up a way to access this so others can try it? Maybe on the build site?
JUTTA: can we engage youth with learning differences as co-designers of the interface via David Perrera's hackathons or TIG?
- ALAN will reach out to David about this
JAMES: will be working with youth groups in Rwanda in September/October, could test tools for feedback then
- JUTTA: idea here would be to actually engage youth at this stage in trying out and using the designs
- JAMES: trying to understand environment, how they interact with it
We'll continue email contact regarding these.