Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

[06:28:53 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> Justin_o: Hi, I have sent initial draft of my proposal for HTML5 Image Editor. Could you have a look and provide some feedback?

[06:29:13 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Pulkit: thanks.. i'll take a look

[06:29:55 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> Okay, thank you.

[06:34:38 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Pulkit: where did you send it to?

[06:41:40 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> I've sent it to info@atutor.ca on last Sunday. Should I send you too?

[06:47:07 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Pulkit: yes, could you resend it to me as well

[06:52:55 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> Okay

[06:58:18 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> I have sent it to you Justin_o

[06:58:33 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Pulkit: thanks.. i see it now

[07:29:04 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Pulkit: i've read over your proposal, but will probably chat with jon first before giving you feedback..

[07:30:23 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> Justin_o: Okay. Thanks. I'll wait for your feedback

[08:00:28 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Pulkit: are you still there, jhung and I can just give you the feedback on your proposal here

[08:00:35 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> Yes

[08:01:21 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Pulkit: so a few things.. first off are you planning on starting over, or continuing on from where you left off last year?

[08:02:19 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> I was planning to continue from where I left last year. That way, the final tool could be more useful with all the features. What do you think?

[08:03:25 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Pulkit: that's good.. we were hoping that.. I think we've been hoping all along that we'd be able to merge the codebases for this years and last at some point

[08:04:06 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Pulkit: next up, what do you mean by test-driven approach

[08:04:43 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> I meant that I could start writing the tests as I build the tool

[08:05:12 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> Last year, I did the unit testing at the end. But I intend to do it as the project progresses now

[08:05:16 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Pulkit: okay that's great, i was a bit confused by your July 5 - 9 schedule, since you say you'll write the tests then

[08:06:30 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> pulkit, fyi, a traditional test-driven approach is to write the tests first before any application code is written. Which is why we wanted to clarify that. (smile)

[08:06:48 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Pulkit: here's a wikipedia article about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test-driven_development

[08:07:02 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> jhung: Yes, I also wanted to carry out in the same way if that would be possible.

[08:07:43 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> pulkit, that would be excellent.

[08:07:49 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> And for the July 5-9 schedule, I wanted to focus on writing the documentation and tutorials for including new features

[08:08:47 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> So at some point, I could update the pages on wiki, e.g. http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Tutorial+-+Image+Editor before the midterm project evaluation

[08:09:32 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> Sounds like a good idea. Documentation is always welcome.

[08:10:14 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Pulkit: did you have any other ideas for image editing tools in the context of book digitization that could be added?

[08:11:55 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> Yes, I mentioned one in the proposal e.g. an algorithm that could transform the image to look like a scanned page. But I wanted to keep them for the end and implement if time permits. Otherwise, we can also do that outside the scope of GSoC

[08:12:46 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> In addition to this, we can also look at how to implement OCR

[08:13:59 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> But I think that it would be a bit difficult to do in GSoC timeframe

[08:14:16 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> pulkit, that's the functionality we will be bringing to Decapod through 3D computer vision research being done at the University of Kaiserslautern.

[08:14:34 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> If you're interested in this, we can discuss it further.

[08:14:47 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> yes, sure

[08:15:33 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> But your ideas are on the same page as us. So that's good.

[08:16:49 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> (smile)

[08:19:30 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> Thanks pulkit. I don't think I have any other questions. I'll ping you here or send you an email if I do.

[08:19:59 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> ok. Thanks for your feedback.

[08:24:00 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Pulkit: same for me as jhung… there's been a lot of interest in the project this year… so make sure you get your proposal in as good a shape as possible.

[08:25:02 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> Thanks Justin_o. I'll try to improve it

[08:26:20 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Pulkit: That's not to say that your proposal was bad, in general i like the detail and structure of your proposal. Just want to give you a heads up.

[08:27:32 CDT(-0500)] <Pulkit> Yes, I understand.

[09:20:18 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> hey kasper and yura

[09:20:23 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> we're so close, I can feel it!

[09:20:29 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> I know!

[09:20:33 CDT(-0500)] <yura> (smile)

[09:20:34 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Sounds like we're all up and running with Fedora

[09:20:47 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yura: Can you update us on where you're at, and what you think needs to be done next?

[09:20:50 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> My list looks like this:

[09:20:56 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> I'm hijacking jura to help me out with the LaunchHandler and configurationManager this afternoon

[09:21:01 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 1. Finish the build recipe for Avtar

[09:21:12 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 2. Move gsettings_bridge and gpiistack over to the linux repo

[09:21:18 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> kasper: Excellent!

[09:21:39 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> hopefully michelled doesn't kill you (wink)

[09:21:49 CDT(-0500)] <yura> colinclark, kasper: basically it looks like colinclark's #2 was one of the things on my list

[09:21:52 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> hehe

[09:22:06 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yura: Would you like me to do it so you can pair with Kasper?

[09:22:10 CDT(-0500)] <yura> and the key launchahandler work with kasper that should let us integrate linux full stack

[09:22:28 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> yura, colinclark: I'm so excited about this (smile)

[09:22:30 CDT(-0500)] <yura> colinclark: that would be great

[09:22:30 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> okay

[09:22:37 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> So it sounds like the last two real blockers are:

[09:22:40 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 1. Move linux stuff to linux

[09:22:49 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 2. Get the exec launch handler working

[09:22:51 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Is that correct?

[09:22:57 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> I believe so

[09:23:09 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> So I'll do #1 and you guys will do #2?

[09:23:19 CDT(-0500)] <yura> colinclark: for #1 we need to update some stuff (locations etc)

[09:23:30 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yura: tell me more

[09:23:41 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I find myself slightly adrift in this world of underscores

[09:23:43 CDT(-0500)] <yura> #2 yes, make sure that exec execs steve's setting handlers

[09:24:00 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Wait

[09:24:01 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I'm confused

[09:24:08 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> How does #2 relate to settings handlers?

[09:24:17 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Steve's gsettings bridge now is a Node plugin

[09:24:19 CDT(-0500)] <yura> colinclark: basically the scripts that listen to usb need to be slightly updated, i think there are some hardcoded absolute paths there, i think we can change that all to be relative to our linux repo

[09:24:28 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yura: Aha, okay

[09:24:42 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> should be easy enough

[09:25:42 CDT(-0500)] <yura> colinclark: oh, i might be confused too (smile). i guess i would need to look at steve's stuff to see how it needs to be lounched

[09:25:51 CDT(-0500)] <yura> launched

[09:26:26 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yura: Looks to me like it just needs a bit of wrapping

[09:26:27 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> https://github.com/GPII/gsettings_bridge/blob/master/gsettings_bridge.js

[09:26:41 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Sensibly enough, it implements two methods--get and set

[09:26:55 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> So I'm assuming either...

[09:27:09 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> #1 the configuration manager already expects to resolve a SettingsHandler by name and then call get on it

[09:27:10 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> or

[09:27:27 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> #2 we wrap this in whatever the API is between the configuration manager and its settingshandler

[09:27:42 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> kasper: You probably know off the top of your head

[09:28:43 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> hey michelled, kasper is threatening to steal yura for a bit this afternoon...

[09:28:52 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> which in my mind is 100% awesome

[09:29:08 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> I'm feeling quite a bit of Floe pressure

[09:29:13 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> but I just wanted to check that you didn't have any kind of Evil Genius Floe Plans for Yura this aft

[09:29:37 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> currently the configuration manager invokes the settingsHandler by calling the "type" function specified in the solution payload

[09:29:43 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> yura and I were going to work on Video player integration into the authoring tool today and tomorrow

[09:30:04 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> colinclark: if kasper steals yura today, will you be able to help us out next week?

[09:30:19 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> kasper: See how this works? (tongue)

[09:30:19 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> colinclark: it's a short week and even shorter for me because I'm on vacation on Thursday

[09:30:25 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> hehe

[09:30:28 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> "I'll trade you half a day of Yura's time for a week of yours"

[09:30:36 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yura: I think you should be highly flattered by this deal

[09:30:38 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> sneaky michelled

[09:30:48 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> michelled: Yes, I'm all Floe's next week

[09:30:50 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> I was hoping colinclark wouldn't notice that (wink)

[09:30:50 CDT(-0500)] <yura> why ? i get nothing out of it (smile)

[09:30:55 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> lol

[09:31:20 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> yura: what are you talking about? you get to spend an afternoon with me (big grin)

[09:31:39 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> A prize, for sure!

[09:32:16 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> kasper: Can you toss me a link to the code where that happens--where the configuration manager calls its settings handlers?

[09:32:19 CDT(-0500)] <yura> kasper: are you free now ?

[09:32:49 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> yura: more or less.. have a meeting with Gregg in 30 minutes, but I might be able to push that

[09:32:56 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> colinclark: sec

[09:33:02 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> kasper: take your time, thanks

[09:33:14 CDT(-0500)] <yura> kasper: if you want we can start now ?

[09:34:07 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> colinclark: https://github.com/GPII/universal/blob/master/gpii/node_modules/configurationManager/src/ConfigurationManager.js#L54

[09:34:27 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> yura: that'd be awesome.. just finding my headset, then I'll call you up

[09:34:40 CDT(-0500)] <yura> alright

[09:55:28 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> jhung: I'm thinking after standup might actually be better for me to talk Decapod if it works for you

[09:55:37 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Like justin_o, I'm working from home today

[09:55:40 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> but we can have a Skype call

[10:01:55 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> colinclark, jhung: i'm back, ready when to talk decapod when you are

[10:02:06 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Justin_o: Are you okay to do it after standup?

[10:02:16 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> colinclark: sure

[10:05:40 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> justin_o, colinclark: that's fine with me.

[10:06:33 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> great!

[10:49:59 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> fluid-everyone: sorry i missed standup. just talking with Iris about IDI budget, mailing lists, decisions coming up, deadlines, etc.

[10:50:03 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> i'm working on the RFP today

[10:50:25 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> yura: have you ever run into this error "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '$$guid' of undefined"

[10:51:24 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> it looks like it's happening from a call to removeListener but only happens if i don't set the priority of one of my subcomponents to "last" if i specify -1000 or something like that, the error occurs

[10:51:38 CDT(-0500)] <yura> Justin_o: hmm not sure i have

[10:52:06 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> okay.. i'll keep poking around

[11:15:24 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> michelled, I've pushed my latest auth tool branch (FLOE-1) again. The css changes are now in the .scss files instead of the .css files, and the high-contrast toolbar icons are working

[11:15:47 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> thx anastasiac

[11:16:00 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> anastasiac: were there any other details that we still wanted to get into that branch?

[11:16:07 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> checking my notes

[11:16:59 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> michelled, I think that's everything on my list. I suppose we could run it by the designers again. Also, I haven't finished testing an OER with everything possible in it

[11:17:53 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> anastasiac: yes, we should get the designers to look at what we've got - preferably if you can make a real OER

[11:34:44 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yura and kasper: Did either of you happily install Node.js via yum? Or did you both build it from source?

[11:35:05 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> colinclark: from source - following your instructions

[11:35:22 CDT(-0500)] <yura> source

[11:36:40 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> okay

[11:36:54 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I can imagine avtar might love us more if I can get the package version working

[11:37:03 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> So I'll give it another shot

[11:37:17 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> otherwise, we'll just tell avtar that the cool kids compile from source

[12:14:31 CDT(-0500)] <am33sh> yura : i haved sent my proposal for epub reader

[12:47:03 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> cool kids don't compile from source

[12:47:08 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> (wink)

[12:50:23 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I do trust avtar to be the arbiter of cool

[12:51:15 CDT(-0500)] * avtar works hard to hold on to that title

[12:52:02 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> i was hoping burt would have opted for a skype call and not that conf bridge

[13:02:25 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> avtar: Were you able to call in?

[13:02:36 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I'm getting a message that conference 437# is not scheduled

[13:03:44 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> no, haven't been able to join

[13:04:54 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> burt isn't on skype

[13:05:23 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> matt said they're trying to figure out why the bridge isn't working

[13:05:37 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> ok

[13:26:44 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> colinclark: ayt?

[13:27:05 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> kasper: I'm just in a short meeting at the moment

[13:27:08 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> but I will be around

[13:27:13 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> in about 20 minutes

[13:27:33 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> colinclark: ok, do you mind if Yura and I move steves gsettingsHandler into the main linux repo

[13:27:40 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> colinclark: pleeeeaaase

[13:27:49 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> go for it!

[13:27:56 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> awesome! Thanks colinclark

[13:35:23 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> kasper: you'll ping me when it's in?

[13:35:31 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> colinclark: will do

[13:41:44 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yura: I was wondering about what the standard approach to "installing" compiled Node modules is/

[13:41:55 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> While reviewing Steve's code, I noted this path: https://github.com/GPII/gsettings_bridge/blob/master/gsettings_bridge.js#L4

[13:42:14 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> But I imagine that there must be some installation process that node-waf might help us with?

[13:43:08 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> kasper: On your end, I imagine we'll have to do a bit more refactoring of the Configuration Manager to make it call .get() and .set() as appropriate? https://github.com/GPII/universal/blob/master/gpii/node_modules/configurationManager/src/ConfigurationManager.js#L54

[13:47:33 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Bosmon: You around?

[13:50:21 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> any volunteers to help me with lame HTML?

[13:53:19 CDT(-0500)] <jhung1> jessm, I can try. What's up?

[13:53:38 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> http://fluidproject.org/about-us/our-funder/

[13:53:39 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> bah

[13:54:17 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> okay. Let me guess, you want the images to line up on the left?

[13:54:42 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> jhung: yes

[13:55:05 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> i'm not sure if the ontario image is causing the issue because of a border or if it's just plain bad HTML

[13:55:07 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> or both!

[13:55:55 CDT(-0500)] <jhung> Ok. I'll try to manage using Firebug and send you the HTML / CSS modifications. Otherwise I may need access to the files themselves.

[13:58:14 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> jameswy: ping

[13:58:16 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> you around now?

[13:58:22 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> jhung: thanks so much!

[14:01:36 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> jessm, jameswy just wrapped up his meeting with me and jvass - he should be back at his desk in a minute or two

[14:02:14 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> cool-thanks

[14:19:03 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Hi, codercube

[14:19:05 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> er colinclark

[14:19:24 CDT(-0500)] <codercube> hello

[14:19:48 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> hi Bosmon

[14:20:09 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Justin_o - you'll get that error if you call removeListener with an undefined argument

[14:21:07 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: thanks.. i had tracked it back there, but still not sure why it happened.. it was weird because if i switched the component to have a priority of "last" it would work, but if i put even a priority of "-100000" it would fail

[14:22:58 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: speaking of which.. if i read the code right.. it seems that components that don't have priorities automatically get priorities assigned in decreasing order.. so if i had tried to make something last by using a priority of "0" or "-1" if i have multiple other subcomponents with no priority, they could be set to a lower priority?

[14:23:07 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> is that correct?

[14:24:16 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Justin_o - the default priority is to have lower priority than anything that has priority (smile)

[14:24:29 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> If you find yourself juggling with priorities a lot, I think you need to rethink your design

[14:24:40 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> (smile) it was mostly for the test

[14:24:42 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> thanks anastasiac (wink)

[14:24:52 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> np

[14:25:02 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> They aren't meant to be used heavily... mostly they are "emergency feature" that helps you out in the case you couldn't be bothered to make enough events

[14:25:14 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> If you find yourself assigning lots of things to different priorities, you need to make more events

[14:25:27 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: so i did change the design.. i had the last subcompoent fire an event from it's final init function

[14:25:47 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Bosmon: I asked a question earlier in the channel that you might be able to help me with once you're done with Justin

[14:26:13 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon, colinclark: i think i'm okay for now.. have moved on past that issue.. thanks Bosmon

[14:26:41 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Bosmon: I was puzzling through Node modules

[14:26:56 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Do you know if there is some idiom for "installing" C++ modules?

[14:27:06 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I would imagine node-waf does something for us

[14:27:17 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> colinclark - I don't know about that yet

[14:27:35 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> ok

[14:27:58 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> kasper - sgithens is the one you need to talk to if you want to move his settingsHandler (smile)

[14:28:07 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> It's his stuff after all

[14:29:11 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Justin_o - thanks for your explanation about the generated themes

[14:29:30 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> I wonder if you and michelled could tell me whether there is some official process by which the built materials for UIO are transferred into the videoPlayer project?

[14:29:51 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Right now I just "copied some stuff over to match what was there" which is why I ended up moving those built things too

[14:32:12 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yura, kasper WTF

[14:32:22 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> EXPLAIN YOUR EXCITEMENT

[14:32:25 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> (smile)

[14:32:25 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> i know!!! it's so exciting

[14:32:41 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> the login resulted in enabling the screen magnifier

[14:32:53 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> … so we got a full stack (login) working!!!!!

[14:32:54 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> kasper: That's the weirdest thing you've ever said

[14:32:59 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> (smile)

[14:33:04 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> hehe

[14:33:09 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> What does the (login) part mean?

[14:33:18 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> that logout doesn't disable the magnifier

[14:33:47 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> You mean "login" as opposed to "usb key in?"

[14:33:57 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> or are you using them synonymously?

[14:34:09 CDT(-0500)] <yura> colinclark: login will be usb key in

[14:34:17 CDT(-0500)] <yura> (smile)

[14:34:24 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I can never tell with you guys and grammar

[14:34:30 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> What does "will be" mean?

[14:34:35 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> "is" or "we're getting to that?"

[14:34:36 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> (smile)

[14:34:39 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> colinclark: yeah - we haven't tested with an actual usb stick – but using curl is working

[14:34:43 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> cool

[14:34:46 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> that makes sense (smile)

[14:34:52 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> haha, COLIN! Don't ruin our naive excitement

[14:34:56 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> something is actually working

[14:34:58 CDT(-0500)] <yura> seriousl

[14:34:59 CDT(-0500)] <yura> :_)

[14:35:02 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> hehe

[14:35:11 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I just have no clue what you guys are saying (tongue)

[14:35:16 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> and would love to share your excitement (tongue)

[14:35:25 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> go to yura's desk and take a look

[14:35:31 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> pure awesomeness

[14:35:36 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> kasper: That would be a 20 minute bike ride away

[14:35:41 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> not that I'm not tempted

[14:35:55 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> colinclark: a 20 minute bike ride well worth it, i might add

[14:35:58 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> (well, not really)

[14:36:07 CDT(-0500)] <yura> haha

[14:36:11 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> colinclark: in 30 minutes, you can download this stuff and try it yourself

[14:36:20 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> kasper and yura: Congratulations, dudes

[14:36:22 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> super exciting

[14:36:31 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> What are your next steps?

[14:37:03 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> making logout work

[14:37:08 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> (since we don't have a USB)

[14:37:11 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> sweet

[14:37:26 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> indeed

[14:37:26 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yura: I'm sure Bert can hook you up with a spare USB stick

[14:37:44 CDT(-0500)] <yura> colinclark: did you manage to do anything with Boyan's repo?

[14:38:13 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> No, because I had no idea what you and Kasper were doing, and whether you'd already done so (smile)

[14:38:16 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I can look at it now

[14:38:22 CDT(-0500)] <yura> ok we ll do it now

[14:38:38 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> what is it that Bosmon and jessm say in these kinds of situations?

[14:38:40 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> gah

[14:38:42 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> something like that

[14:38:43 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> gah

[14:38:51 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yura, kasper: yes, go for it (smile)

[14:38:52 CDT(-0500)] <jessm> bah

[14:39:00 CDT(-0500)] <yura> haha

[14:39:03 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> lol

[14:39:05 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yura: can you answer my question about node modules, by chance?

[14:39:09 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> i'm so confused!

[14:39:42 CDT(-0500)] <yura> colinclark: sure

[14:39:43 CDT(-0500)] <yura> one sec

[14:40:23 CDT(-0500)] <yura> oh right, colinclark first time we were handling those too

[14:40:40 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> maybe no one knows

[14:40:43 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> i'm just curious (smile)

[14:40:43 CDT(-0500)] <yura> i think there's either in node procedure how to compile those, or we d have to do that with a scriot

[14:40:45 CDT(-0500)] <yura> scrip

[14:40:46 CDT(-0500)] <yura> t

[14:40:49 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> oh, cool

[14:40:50 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> okay

[14:40:55 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> we can get steve to look at it

[14:40:57 CDT(-0500)] <yura> i mean script will be easy

[14:41:00 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> probably should keep your move in a fork until you talk to steve

[14:41:13 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> Bosmon: the issue with the built materials is different in the Infusion repo and the Video player repo.

[14:41:14 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> moving his code spontaneously might make him really mad (smile)

[14:41:27 CDT(-0500)] <yura> well i just copied that stuff in linux, his repo is intact

[14:41:37 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> Bosmon: they should not be committed into the Infusion repo and we should have a gitignore for that

[14:41:56 CDT(-0500)] <yura> colinclark: is that ok ?

[14:42:00 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> in the video player repo, we do need to include them.

[14:42:00 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> michelled - ok, I have just deleted them from my branch

[14:42:11 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> I guess I never understood before why this material would appear and disappear (smile)

[14:42:20 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> thanks (smile)

[14:42:22 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> But clearly it would appear whenever I did a build, and it would disappear whenever I switched branches

[14:42:54 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> yura - why not send him a note (smile)

[14:42:58 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> Bosmon: did you see my other comments on that pull request?

[14:43:05 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> michelled - yes, I am resolving them now

[14:43:16 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Just fixing up the Store tests now...

[14:43:49 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> thanks (smile)

[15:02:40 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Hi michelled - I have fixed all the review issues and pushed up to my infusion branch again

[15:07:27 CDT(-0500)] <michelled> thx Bosmon

[15:08:07 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> My videoPlayer branch is also updated for those changes

[15:13:46 CDT(-0500)] <Justin_o> Bosmon: sorry that i missed your message, thankfully michelled was around to answer you

[15:26:39 CDT(-0500)] <yura> colinclark: you missed out on a presentation

[15:26:44 CDT(-0500)] <yura> (smile)

[15:26:59 CDT(-0500)] <anastasiac> colinclark, it was awesome!

[15:36:27 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yura: Huge congrats! Nice work!

[15:36:32 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> you too, kasper ^^

[15:39:44 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> avtar: I'm thinking that the actual steps to build the GPII framework should actually be driven by a developer-managed script of some kind

[15:40:03 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Is it the kind of thing where we should maintain an install shell script in the main Git repo?

[15:40:09 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Or do you think Puppet is a better tool for that job?

[15:41:00 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> So, for example, yura currently has a shell script for setting up and starting the framework: https://github.com/GPII/linux/blob/master/start.sh

[15:41:19 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I imagine we could split that into two--one for compilation and installation, and another for starting

[15:41:38 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> and then your vagrant script could run that as the last stage in the process?

[15:41:41 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> something like that?

[15:42:00 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I guess it would be very nice to be able to parameterize branches for this kind of thing

[15:42:14 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> so that it would be trivial to build a particular branch

[15:52:45 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> colinclark: having it in puppet would be nice once the list of dependencies are somewhat finalized

[15:53:04 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> how come?

[15:55:46 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> do you find yourself making a lot of changes to the script(s) right now?

[15:56:52 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I certainly want to soon, yes

[15:59:55 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> avtar: Some of this is sort of hard to see from this perspective

[16:00:17 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> but I guess in reality there will be a series of configurations steps that are actually relatively cross-platform

[16:00:20 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> and some that aren't

[16:00:32 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I guess we can split this script, conceptually, into three groups of things

[16:00:34 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> having puppet handle the installation of packages provides the benefit of having changes being tracked

[16:00:41 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 1. Check out all related modules via git

[16:00:51 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 2. Platform-specific compilation steps

[16:00:55 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 3. Start the thing

[16:01:06 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> #1 and #3 are probably cross-platform

[16:01:12 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> yes

[16:01:26 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Really, I imagine we should just write them as Node.js scripts

[16:02:02 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> At least until I can convince Bosmon that shared repositories should just be expressed as submodules of each platform-specific repository

[16:02:19 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Still, I guess #1 in that case would boil down to a "git init submodules" command or whatever

[16:02:32 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> avtar: I agree 100% about package installation

[16:02:52 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> the question is, what about things like compilation or other boring manual tasks that need to get done to setup and install an app?

[16:03:07 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I mean, I suppose you'll probably point out sensibly that the GPII framework, on linux, should itself be an RPM

[16:03:09 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> colinclark - I think with yura's structure, a submodule layout would work better in terms of submodules of a single "super-repository"

[16:03:28 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> At least in one version of that structure, "universal", "linux" and "windows" appear as peers in a single directory

[16:03:42 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> So it would be exactly akin to our old fluid-all for Engage

[16:03:46 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Although there's nothing wrong with pushing linux and windows up to an even higher level, I feel the level of nesting of would become a bit dizzying

[16:04:01 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> an essentially empty parent repo with submodules for uni, lin, and win

[16:04:16 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> and then developers are expected to pull the sub repositories they want?

[16:04:16 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> colinclark: +1 for a gpii-framework.rpm

[16:04:22 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Dealing with "node_modules" directories is a little like dealing with IoC component paths with their endlessly repeating sequences of "components.options....components.options." .... : P

[16:04:37 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> avtar: So you rule, for starters (smile)

[16:04:43 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> avtar: Secondly, how would we accomplish this?

[16:05:03 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Assuming that GPII on Linux looks nearly like how it does now...

[16:05:13 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> which means it's a bunch of JavaScript in particular direcotries

[16:05:21 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> plus some Node-specific C++ code that needs to be compiled

[16:05:34 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Would you use some kind of puppet magic to build an RPM?

[16:06:03 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Bosmon: (smile)

[16:06:36 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> no, this sounds like a job for a build system bundled with that fpm project i mentioned earlier

[16:07:06 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> puppet will just use the generated rpm or deb while provisioning the vm

[16:07:45 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> remind me about the fpm project you mentioned earlier?

[16:08:20 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> https://github.com/jordansissel/fpm/wiki

[16:08:51 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> ah, this is a lot like checkinstall

[16:09:01 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> which I used for Deacpod

[16:09:36 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> what would be great is if this would make an Windows "chocolatey" package, too

[16:09:45 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> or whatever this strange windows package manager i found is

[16:09:48 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> or an MSI (tongue)

[16:09:58 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> An MSI sounds more reasonable...

[16:10:07 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> I can't see myself using "choclatey" as a Windows user

[16:10:17 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Although mostly I just want to unzip things in a particular directory and run them

[16:10:28 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> i hate computers

[16:10:30 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> (smile)

[16:10:31 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> lol

[16:10:34 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Yes, they are somewhat tiresome

[16:10:48 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> At least they never crap in the bathroom

[16:10:59 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> They crap elsewhere?

[16:11:04 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> hahaha

[16:11:39 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> avtar, you know i'm pretty slow to understand things

[16:11:39 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> so, let me see where i'm at

[16:11:49 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> so we would have a puppet recipe

[16:11:49 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> I mean, when I had my "node_nodules" panic on Tuesday, I found myself as a windows user running around trying to install new versions of things

[16:12:00 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> that would:

[16:12:01 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> I found that, unhelpfully, the node authors have made an MSI

[16:12:04 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 1. clone everything necessary from git

[16:12:09 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 2. run the compilation steps

[16:12:15 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 3. run fpm to make an RPM

[16:12:19 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 4. publish the RPM somewhere?

[16:12:21 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> It is unhelpful, because they made it badly, in a way that installs some version of node in a fixed location that it doesn't tell you.....

[16:12:41 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> I would have much preferred a link i could just download a working .exe from

[16:12:42 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Bosmon: Maybe you need chocolatey (tongue)

[16:13:16 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> and then you could type something insane like "chocolatey -ql nodejs.i686" to find out where it put it!

[16:13:23 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> superb

[16:13:42 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> colinclark: when i meant build system i was referring to something like jenkins

[16:13:53 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> right

[16:13:57 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> but what would jenkins run?

[16:14:03 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> so jenkins would walk itself through steps 1 - 4

[16:14:16 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> but wouldn't we want some script to walk jenkins through those steps?

[16:14:25 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> since clearly ordinary people would want to run steps 1-4 sometimes, too?

[16:14:27 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> or at least 1-2

[16:14:29 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> ?

[16:15:41 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> yes, a jenkins will run a build script

[16:16:09 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> but what i meant was that puppet should only be concerned about getting that choclatey rpm and installing it for the user

[16:16:21 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> ok

[16:16:42 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> so i guess we'd write a node script for #1-2

[16:16:51 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> and another one for 3-4

[16:16:56 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> which jenkins would run

[16:17:00 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> yup

[16:17:15 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> and then there'd be a "gpii fedora" puppet recipe or something

[16:17:20 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> which provisioned the VM

[16:17:29 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> and installed the nightly RPM on it

[16:17:32 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> is that about right?

[16:17:34 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> yes

[16:17:41 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> and then we'd set vagrant up to use that puppet script?

[16:17:55 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> yes

[16:18:00 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> so Bosmon could just type "vagrant up" and then be testing yura and kasper's new stuff?

[16:18:12 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Yes, I could

[16:18:19 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> If I had the faintest idea what vagrant was (smile)

[16:18:25 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> this sounds so sensible, i can't really believe it

[16:18:26 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Possibly even if I didn't

[16:18:52 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> I guess I need to understand this "new world of names"...

[16:18:52 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> Bosmon: vagrant lets you create virtual machines with very little manual intervention

[16:18:57 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Just looking at "Jenkins" now

[16:19:03 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Bosmon: you should hear how enthusiastic the Floe team is about vagrant for OER Commons development

[16:19:09 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Bizarrely, it seems to be a Java-based integration system not unlike continuum

[16:19:11 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> then you can use those VMs for whatever purpose, testing, development, etc.

[16:19:13 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> avtar has made himself quite a few friends

[16:19:20 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Bosmon: It is basically just modern Continuum, yes

[16:19:24 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Jenkins, that is

[16:19:28 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Yes

[16:19:34 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> So odd that people keep writing these things in Java

[16:19:42 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Vagrant will make VMs for you, so you needed do what I did all day

[16:20:00 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> What kind of VMs

[16:20:03 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> VMWare VMs?

[16:20:07 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Virtualbox VMs, I'm afraid

[16:20:10 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> Bosmon: virtualbox

[16:20:25 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Oracle's VirtualBox!!

[16:20:28 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> But, unlike VMWare, VirtualBox can actually properly run GNOME Shell 3

[16:20:32 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> so there is an upside (smile)

[16:20:41 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Now that's REALLY bizarre

[16:20:46 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> isn't it?

[16:20:50 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> How could a virtual machine engine prevent a shell from running!

[16:20:57 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> It is some kind of GPU acceleration issue?

[16:21:02 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yup

[16:21:12 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> In which case, how does GNOME Shell 3 run for a person who bought a graphics card before 2008?

[16:21:13 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> GNOME Shell 3 is all 3D-ified

[16:21:17 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> SHADERS EVERYWHERE

[16:21:23 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Bosmon: It can't!

[16:21:27 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> ............

[16:21:31 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Well, this really is the NEW UNIX

[16:21:38 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> best as I can tell

[16:21:39 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> very modern

[16:21:40 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> It makes Microsoft look positively virtuous : P

[16:21:45 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> lol

[16:21:46 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I wonder

[16:21:58 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> For you, yes

[16:22:13 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> most of us like Innovation, even at the expense of Our Beloved Old Hardware

[16:22:20 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> I'm sure I could still fire up Windows 7 on a Tseng ET4000 card if I wanted to (smile)

[16:22:49 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> "I'm sure I could still fire up Windows 7 on a "

[16:22:52 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> you lost me there

[16:22:54 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> hahaha

[16:22:56 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> lol

[16:23:11 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> so, avtar

[16:23:16 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> it sounds like we have a really great plan

[16:23:18 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> thanks to you

[16:23:22 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Anyway, yes, so I'll need to install this Oracle spyware

[16:23:26 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> lol

[16:23:38 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> what parts can we start on now?

[16:23:51 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I can probably update Yura's fledging script

[16:24:15 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I think yura should have up-to-date instructions on how to compile the node->gsettings module tomorrow

[16:24:22 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> which was really the only piece missing

[16:24:27 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> can I show you one other thing, avtar?

[16:24:34 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Oh wow.... VirtualBox might actually let me run OS/2 properly!

[16:24:36 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> This is pretty exciting

[16:24:41 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> so i'll start working on getting the vm to build up to that point

[16:24:49 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> colinclark: sure

[16:25:06 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> avtar: Bosmon must be freaking right now

[16:25:14 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> boyar made this: https://github.com/GPII/GPIIStack/tree/master/usb_auth

[16:25:18 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> rather, boyan

[16:25:21 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> stupid spell check

[16:25:34 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> It's a prototype of a thing that listens for USB sticks

[16:25:44 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> what does one do exactly with the 80-local.rules file?

[16:25:52 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Presumably it has to be registered somehow?

[16:25:58 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> oh wait

[16:26:02 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> READ THE README, colinclark

[16:26:29 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> So "2. Copy '80-local.rules' to /etc/udev/rules.d (you will need admin privileges)." would just be another step in our Puppet recipe for installing the GPII, avtar?

[16:27:32 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Bosmon: Do you still have your OS/2 disks lying around?

[16:27:59 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> colinclark: yes

[16:28:09 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> re: Presumably it has to be registered somehow?

[16:28:16 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> colinclark, back in London, yes

[16:28:21 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I still have install CDs for all versions of NeXTSTEP from v 3.3 all the way through to Mac OS X 10.0

[16:28:31 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I wonder if VirtualBox can also run NeXTSTEP? (tongue)

[16:28:33 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> udevd will handle that

[16:28:38 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Although I think I finally decided not to install a floppy drive in this new PC

[16:28:39 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> ok, great

[16:28:45 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> OS/2 didn't quite get into the "install CD" era : P

[16:28:48 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> (smile)

[16:29:03 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I'm sure there are images floating around on the net

[16:29:08 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> ok

[16:29:12 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> guys

[16:29:13 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Yes, I grabbed one a while back, from some Germans

[16:29:15 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> just install windowmaker

[16:29:24 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> But it seemed like it would be too much work to get it working in any of the current VM systems

[16:29:33 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> OS/2 was pretty freaky in its virtualisation requirements

[16:31:05 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Well, apparently it's possible.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9SL0eR3Q04

[16:31:17 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Although I don't know enough German to follow his explanation : P

[16:31:52 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> avtar: I won't even respond to your Windowmaker comment (tongue)

[16:33:47 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> :/

[16:33:56 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I love how our community is now represented so tangibly within the IRC channel

[16:34:05 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Fluid is here to do some work! (smile)

[16:34:20 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> avtar: I think this is pretty much there, then: http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/Setting_Up_Your_Development_Environment

[16:34:57 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> We're really just waiting for yura and kasper and sgithens to finish up with

[16:35:07 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 1. Moving GPIIStack (the USB Listener code) into the Linux repository

[16:35:24 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 2. Moving the GSettings node module into the Linux repository

[16:35:38 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 3. Having a clear sense of how one properly installs such a node module

[16:35:50 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Does this give you enough to get started, avtar?

[16:35:58 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> yes

[16:36:02 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> this looks good

[16:36:21 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> that's a relief

[16:36:34 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> now i can claim to have accomplished something today

[16:36:44 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> aside from revealing how totally un-733t I am

[16:37:03 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Bosmon: this plan all sounds good to you as well?

[16:37:05 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> just out of curiosity, what size have you been using for your vm's disk?

[16:37:15 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 2 TB expandable

[16:37:20 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> yikes

[16:37:23 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> let's hope they don't expand that big (tongue)

[16:37:35 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> what's the size so far?

[16:37:43 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I had problems with smaller drive sizes causing installation errors

[16:37:55 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> colinclark - all sounds cool

[16:37:56 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> and in my brute force way, just slid the slider as far as it would go

[16:38:31 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> avtar: The VDI for my Fedora 17 VM is currently 6.5 GB

[16:38:53 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> My Fedora 16 VDI is, for whatever reason, is a few GBs smaller

[16:39:20 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> hmm

[16:40:33 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> a minimal install of fedora 17 is at 1 gb

[16:40:37 CDT(-0500)] <avtar>

[16:40:59 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> what a horribly long conversation to try and catch up on

[16:41:09 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> kasper: it's so worth it though

[16:41:17 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> by the end of it you'll be a different person

[16:41:20 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> haha

[16:41:42 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> awesome! That's sound like a worthwhile way to spend my thursday night then

[16:41:51 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> kasper: why would you bother?

[16:41:55 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Here's a summary:

[16:41:59 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 1. avtar is really awesome

[16:42:15 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 2. you and yura are rock stars after the demo you guys gave

[16:42:24 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 3. You and yura are on the hook for:

[16:42:36 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> a) moving Boyan's USB Listener over to the Linux repo

[16:42:45 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> b) Working with sgithens to get his stuff moved over

[16:43:05 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 4. Someone needs to determine the most appropriate way to install the gsettings node module

[16:43:27 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 5. We'll probably break up the current Linux start.sh into a few more steps

[16:43:41 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 6. For any cross platform steps in #5, we'll write it as a Node script instead of a bash script

[16:44:01 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 7. avtar is going to start Puppetizing the VM provision process

[16:44:19 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 8. When #3 and #4 is done, he'll also Puppetize the build process

[16:44:38 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 9. Bosmon is not a fan of chocolate

[16:44:42 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> that's it

[16:45:08 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> #8 will be cool because we'll even generate rpm packages for the GPII on a nightly basis, soon enough

[16:46:05 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> kasper: i still recommend printing all of this and having it handy for a soul soothing read

[16:46:55 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> #5 will probably be more clear while #7 is taking place

[16:47:09 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> yup

[16:48:34 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Bosmon: Do you want to review yura's new pull request, or shall I look at it tomorrow?

[16:48:38 CDT(-0500)] <avtar> brb

[16:48:41 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> I'm happy either way

[16:48:43 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> colinclark - i looked over it

[16:48:48 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> ah, great!

[16:48:50 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> I asked him why "snapshottedLaunchers" had gone away

[16:49:01 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> And he said that he was "just trying to ship it" : P

[16:49:13 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Other than that anomaly and that the tests need linting, I think it is ok

[16:49:29 CDT(-0500)] * colinclark wonders if he has created a monster

[16:49:33 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> the GPII SHIP IT monster

[16:50:16 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> kasper: nice work today

[16:50:19 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> everyone's really excited

[16:50:40 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Bosmon: you, too

[16:50:47 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> you've been eating up code like crazy over the past few days

[16:50:58 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> I feel a little relieved now we are "deforked"

[16:51:02 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Although we do not yet have proper ants

[16:51:19 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> The next immediate priority I see is getting Boyan's windows code to be a plugin

[16:51:24 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Yes

[16:51:25 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> But other than that the roadmap is unclear

[16:51:44 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> michelled said she was getting a bit nervous about Floe for the demo in April

[16:51:49 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> so she may need some help

[16:51:59 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Otherwise, I think our next step is to shift from "SHIP IT" into stabilization

[16:52:12 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Yes, I asked her what she needed... I know I can certainly help out with the videoPlayer integration

[16:52:19 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> kasper is quickly going to be the voice of "make it solid and easily extensible," I'd guess.

[16:52:35 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Since the big risk of shipping a demo is the assumption that it's ready to be used

[16:52:58 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> We're going to need to make sure we cycle back asap and re-evaluate a few things:

[16:53:13 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 1. The components of the architecture we stubbed out with static JSON files

[16:53:21 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 2. Model transformation

[16:53:32 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 3. Each component's payloads

[16:53:42 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> 4. The match maker

[16:54:07 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> Until we feel good about those four things, we're not really quite ready to work with AT vendors beyond "give us your settings and we'll figure it out for you"

[16:54:47 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> anyway, I realize I'm now late for dinner with Jennison

[16:54:53 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> So I guess I'll hit the road

[16:55:10 CDT(-0500)] <colinclark> See you soon, kasper and Bosmon

[16:55:24 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> See you later, colinclark

[16:55:28 CDT(-0500)] <Bosmon> Have a good dinner

[16:57:09 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> colinclark: haha, read and read and read - and then made it to the part where you wrote: "No need to read it all, I'll give a summary"

[16:57:33 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> a great read though!

[16:57:41 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> (and thanks for the summary)

[16:58:20 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> Bosmon: so, the removal of snapshottedLaunchers

[16:58:49 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> we realized that we could actually not use an exec launchHandler for the linux magnifier

[16:59:11 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> as it'll be launched and killed by a simple gsettings call

[16:59:42 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> so actually, we completely dropped the exec launcher for now and used steve's gsettings bridge

[17:00:12 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> which is written for settingsHandlers, and hence return a payload with old and new values of the variables

[17:01:14 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> which in the original configurationManager meant overwriting the 'stop' part of the launchHandlers section

[17:01:23 CDT(-0500)] <kasper> .. so we commented it out for now

[22:03:16 CDT(-0500)] <vigasdeep> Hi all !

[22:03:36 CDT(-0500)] <vigasdeep> any mentors here ? I just want to talk for a while for some projects

[22:23:33 CDT(-0500)] <vigasdeep> I want to talk about ePub reader, based on JavaScript.

  • No labels