V4 (Feb 28, 2018)
Issues with V3 sketch:
- it's possible to get into a "locked" state where the jump key doesn't appear to do anything
- it was hard to predict where the magnet will travel to especially if you're jumping quickly multiple times.
V4 seeks to address this issue by having the jump behaviour work the same regardless of where you are on the screen.
- When jump key is held, a place holder appears in the location where movement will stop.
- When jump key is released
- if the magnet is in the left half of the screen, the magnet will move to the right.
- if the magnet is in the right half of the screen, the magnet will move to the left.
- the distance moved left or right in all situations will be 50% of the play area width.
- i.e. the magnet will move half a screen width each jump. If the magnet is in the left edge, a jump will put it in the middle.
- Why 50%? This increases the chances that a jump does something "interesting" if it is around the magnet.
Edge case: magnet is in the center of the play area, does the jump go left or right?
- In this case the jump should go in the direction of the last known move
- If the magnet was moving left previously, the next jump will move it left.
Edge case: If the last move was a mouse drag and drop, what direction does the jump go?
- (same as above in Summary) if the magnet is in the left half of the screen, the magnet will move to the right.
- (same as above in Summary) if the magnet is in the right half of the screen, the magnet will move to the left.
Edge case: if the magnet is dragged and dropped into the exact centre where does the jump go?
- The jump goes in the direction based on the horizontal direction of the mouse drag and drop.
- i.e. if the mouse was dragging left and dropped in the centre, the jump will go left
Edge case: if the user is moving vertically in centre axis, where does the jump go?
- Unsure what should happen in this case.
- Option 1: Just arbitrarily move it in a direction (left or right)
- Option 2: Go back in history to see what the last horizontal movement was and jump in that direction.
- Option 3: ???
V3.1 (Feb 1, 2018)
Jump key ("J") tap (press and release):