- Assumes that the museum would have told a bit about how the device should be used when it was rented, or maybe not
- Playing around with the application first
- Accidentally chose the wrong language, attempting to correct, takes a long time. P: "The spooling is quite long"
Goes to 'Simply Montreal' under Exhibitions first to "get ready" before exploring the space \ [because they're given to this in-museum, visitors must think every part of the application is useful/needed for the in-museum mobile experience\]
- Currently in 'Simply Montreal', but sees object code label in the space, and remembers seeing an object entry icon in the application
- Afraid that tapping 'Home' will bring P back to the language selection (and not the main menu)
- Tapping 'Back'---P: "Back? Back is not working. Back? Okay... back." (performance issue)
Expected to see an object code entry option under 'Simply Montreal' in exhibitions, but not seeing it \ [user thinking that 'Simply Montreal' under Exhibitions is the one-stop shop for mobile experience for 'Simply Montreal'\!\]
- Enters object code for object in front of her
- Expecting sound to come out after entering the code, even though she saw the book icon on the label
- P: "Where's the enter? Oh, 'Opening artifact page'. I thought there'd be an enter key."
- Same picture? Yes, no, yes, no, yes. (it's not exactly the same---the physical picture is a reprint, the digital one is of the negative)
- Skimming through extended description---P: "There's a lot of text here... that's a lot of text"
- Information on physical label didn't prepare her for the quantity of information presented on the mobile device; lots of scrolling; would want more introduction into the matter before having all that content
- Went to Exhibitions to try and find object code entry again (trying 'Read More', and 'Catalogue')
- Tapped on 'Read More'. Expecting introduction text, and an index of some sort, links towards different access points (podcasts, texts, etc.)
- Just sees introduction text. P: "I probably would've already read this prior to coming here."
- Sees an object in the space in the catalogue, and taps on it to see what's there
- P: "No information more than what's on the tag. Not really much use to me right now."
- Sees 'switch to grid mode' icon, taps on it thinking that it'd bring the object code entry screen
- P: "It's giving me the same sort of objects, but in a more gallery view... Really thought that'd be an access point where I can punch in the object codes, but now I realize I have to get completely out of this to get to the object code entry."
- Enters an object code for object in front of her (red sleigh)
- Compares physical and digital tombstone labels---notes that they're different, and more precise on the mobile device
- Reading full text (tapped 'More'); notes that the digital description is very similar to the one that's the one in the physical space
- Tapped 'Less' instead of scrolling up because "I'm lazy"
- P: "It's too bad that the whole page doesn't fit on the screen---if I'm at the end, I have to scroll all the way back up"
- Anxious to see something more visual, less textunmigrated-wiki-markup
- P: "I'm getting very nifty and good at \ [using\] this" (approx. 15 minutes into session)
- On comments entry:
- P: "There's nowhere to type in a comment. There's no keys. There's something missing, because there's nowhere I can type in my comment. Is it recording my voice? Is there something I'm missing? Am I trying in vain? This must have been thought out. Is there something I'm not finding, or is it not done?"
- Accidentally tapped the box, and keyboard came up
- P: "This is a weird keyboard"
Confused about the international globe symbol on the keyboard, sees that it's a change language \ [could cause confusion---keyboard and application languages might be different\]
- P: "I have pretty good eyesight, but I can't read what I'm typing" (font too small)
- Wanted to see if her comment was there, and looked for her comment
- P: Tapped 'Show comment' several times, but appeared as though nothing happened (comments expanded below the fold)
- On an object with media:
- P: Tapped 'Show audio and video' several times, but appeared as though nothing happened (audio and video list expanded below the fold)
- Successfully started and restarted (via scrubbing to the beginning) video
- P: "How long is this video? Oh, a minute twenty-two left."
- P: "Just an image and nothing else" (video of static image and audio track)
- P: "It said I have a movie, why all the text?"
- On related artifacts:
- P: "Probably not something that's not here because there are no engravings in front of me"
- P: "That's neat."
- P: "Even though it's not identified, it looks like it's an object in the collection that's somewhere else or not in the collection... but it wasn't too obvious that it was an extra bonus information, and not something that was in front of me."