Whitepapers and more:
- MyData is not about open data, but personal data.
- Core Idea
- Individuals should be in control of their own data
- aims to strengthen digital human rights (privacy, sovereignty) while opening new opportunities for businesses to develop innovative personal data based services built on mutual trust.
- MyData is a vision and guiding technical principals so we can have control over the data trails we leave behind us everyday.
- Three models
- API Ecosystem
- Individual APIs to connect
- Easy to forget what and where you've given consent
- Platform Model
- MyData Model
- control data flows to individual entities
- MyData shifts
- Formal → actionable rights
- not just legal but something you can actually do. (e.g. click on something)
- Data protection → data empowerment
- Things like GDPR are more privacy protection, empowerment is what can you do with the data about you
- Closed → open ecosystems
- currently little/no transparency about what data is collected about you
- GDPR vs MyData
- GDPR strengthens data protection and our individual rights (hopefully also our trust)
- key rights
- data portability
- right to access
- right to be forgotten
- grey areas
- right to be forgotten vs public interest
- right to remember
- right of minority groups
- privacy by design
- data protection officers
- breach notification
- other issue is that some sites are blocking users because they view compliance to be too difficult/costly
- MyData aims to enable new services based on personal data
- Entire MyData architecture is built on managing consents.
- Realising and promoting functional APIs/interfaces for data, not just file access is central goal in MyData.
- MyData creates a framework where both control and transparency of data usage is done human-centric
- Profiling requires explicit consent
- Open Data - MyData Principles
- MyData is about your data and your freedoms, Open data is about public data and anyones freedom
- Making it happen
- 25 MyData hubs across 20 countries
- Companies coming onboard to support MyData. They may not be end user facing but companies that support other companies that use data.
- Still need to explore relation to AI (can i get my data, can i revoke my data from those algorithms, and etc.)
- Deceived by Design - Norwegian Consumer Council
- MyData Conference ( 2016 and 2017 videos are online) 2018 conference happening at the end of August.
- In the future it would be good to have privacy icons (similar to creative commons icons) to indicate what a terms of service entails.