Keep or remove Coil to the Left / Right alert?
- The alert for "coil to left / right" can come across as jarring when already near the coil.
- Example, some confusion for #603 after that alert "4 loop coil to the right" (2:50 - 2:54).
- However, same user used the text cue at 36:15 and knew to move left to the coil. Uses text cue , and again at 43:10 to find 2nd coil
- Remove this alert. Users seem to manage without it, and get confused with it.
- The original intention of this alert is to help users “set up” their magnet so they know when the coil is to the left or right.
- When coil is bumped, a "bong" sound is heard, but text alert says: "magnet at center of play area".
- This creates an incorrect association and explanation.
- Example: For #603 at 2:25, magnet inside coil and hit the top of coil. "bong" sound heard, but text alert says: "magnet at center of play area".
- Text alert creating confusion because it's not describing what the "bong" sound means
- #603 thought it was some sort of bullseye and they were in the right place.
- Remove text alert all together and just have the "bong" sound.
- Play area edge bump and text alert is an example where this works well: edge bump sound is accompanied by an alert saying the magnet is at the edge
- None of the surveyed users used the slide move (#603, #608)
Shorten the Play Area Edge Text Alert
- 608 Appears to be an experienced user - faster rate of speech, navigating quickly through PDOM
- 3:00 - appears to be having problems figuring out that focusing on the magnet is where you begin.
- looking through the PDOM multiple times, and the Control Area, but can't find where to begin.
- 4:10 - comments about missing something
- Asked what she was looking for, and was told to switch modes from Browse to Forms mode
- How often does this situation come up? Should instructions be put somewhere (i.e. in the Help or scene summary?)
- "I'm very confused" - can't seem to figure out how to get to magnet and move it
- Still very confused. Was manipulating the coils and not getting what she wanted. Instructed to go and find the magnet.
- Managed to find the magnet
- Is the text cue not strong enough? Just says: "Bar magnet, move in 4 directions"
- was moving magnet around, got it into the coil, bumped the coil
- Is the bump sound enough?
- Moved magnet around a lot. Bumped it along the edges a lot
- Edge bump alert can be better.
- User slides the magnet
- No other audio cues because far from coil
- Previously asked to turn on field lines
- Now turns them off. Did not explore the PDOM to hear the updated description.
- Asked to describe the sim
- Describes the sim as having a coil, a circuit, magnet, and a voltmeter (although not sure what that is)
- Not sure what the lightbulb is for
- Knows the magnet can go in the coil because it's open on both ends
- Asked how they navigated through the sim
- Was using the arrow keys and getting no where
- Possible the text description did not help either. The description says to use arrow keys but didn't say the context in which to use them.
- Eventually was able to move magnet with WASD keys
- Asked if used any other keys to move the magnet
- Said used the 1 2 3 keys and it slid the magnet, but didn't give any additional description.
- Asked about the descriptions from the screen reader
- Said the descriptions were very specific
- Also said didn't realize that the 1 2 3 keys wasn't sliding just inside the coil
- Asked about the amount of time spent using Browse Mode