2. Component Design Process (Daphne)
As we look towards designing new Fluid UI components, we need to plan a basic process and set of criteria for designing them in a fully usable and accessible way. We'll review Daphne Ogle's proposal for this process, and then share our recommendations for how best to design Fluid components.
- Daphne will present a proposal for a working process/best practices for future component development (1 Hour)
- Discuss persona and scenario requirements for component development (1 Hour - design team)
- What does a comprehensive set of personas look like? A set of personas are specific to a problem domain -- what is the problem domain? Is there one for Sakai & Moodle and another for uPortal? Do we share one? Are there several for each respective product?
- Can we create a comprehensive set of personas (including choosing primary & secondary) as part of the content management research project?
- Share out a set of recommendations for design process with the community
3. Design Patterns (Allison)
Allison will present ideas and facilitate a discussion on the use of Design Patterns in Fluid. We will discuss such questions as:
4. User Testing (1/2 Day) (Barbara & Shaw Han)
As components like the Lightbox begin to mature, we need to ensure that our work is regularly tested for usability and accessibility by real users. Shaw-Han Liem will present his test plan for the Lightbox, and Mike Elledge and Daphne Ogle will present a proposal for long-term user testing strategies within Fluid.
- Daphne and Mike Elledge Barbara & Shaw-Han will present user testing protocols and demonstrate their application using the Lightbox tool
- Discussion of the protocol, lessons learned and adaptation (as necessary) to the Fluid project will follow
- Shaw-Han and Daphne will present a general usability testing plan for the Lightbox application
- Refinement of the plan
- Delegate distributed, in-context testing of the Lightbox application
- Build vs. integrate
- Controlled views
- Internalize vs. externalize
- Empowering content authors
*7. Design Team Coordination & Planning moving forward (1 Hour) (Daphne)*
- Can the Fluid design team leverage the "planning game", from agile practices, as a way to coordinate our work, leverage each other's skills and knowledge & generally have a shared understanding of our goals, work and priorities?
- Discuss other ideas for helping with this?