This is a draft in progress.
Discussion about workflow file management and what components might emerge.
File Management Definition
Workflow File Management is a large and broad term with many applications. For the purposes of this concept, workflow will defined as the steps necessary to complete a task or goal. There is both personal workflow (tasks and goals that I can complete by myself) and group workflow (tasks and goals that require more than one person to complete).a variety of definitions. For scoping and discussion purposes we define file management as overall user-management of files. The files are generally uploaded into the target web application from a user's personal computer or another website or application. Users can then organize their files, typically represented navigationally or spatially. They may decide to share these files with others, either as information (read-only) or in a more collaborative manner.
Tools are isolated and siloed. Tasks that require more than one tool to complete require a user to halt the main task, leave the tool, navigate to another tool, interface with the other tool to complete a secondary task, and navigate back to the original tool to proceed with the main task. This halt and interrupt may happen several times to complete the main task/goal. A user may also lose the work on the main task when having to navigate away for secondary tasks, or minimally be forced into some kind of additionally cumbersome Save process when dealing with secondary tasks.
Suspend the main task flow indefinitely and provide a means for the user to immediately pick up from that point in the workflow.
Fleshing Out at Summit meeting
- Getting files in
- create / retain linkages
- upload once, use in multiple locations -- sometimes should remain "as one file", sometimes new location is the base of something new
- upload many at once - making web-dav easier -- bookmarklet (delicious one click to add files to my space)
- Upload happens in context of other activities / workflows
- Upload to general file space
- Connections between file space and in context
- assign information important to me about my files (context, tags, etc.)