Summit Post-it Page
1 / All
Also known as a "Wizard". Guiding a user through a multi-step series of interfaces to complete a task.
- (S) Wizard component
- Utilizes many good design practices
- Clear action identified, consistent navigation, "where am I?" "How much to go?" indicators.
- Wizard continue, back, cancel navigation
- Inconsistent currently
- Maybe this is wizard component at higher granularity
- (S) Multi-step indicator
- (S) Site setup checklist
- I need to know what I should do to set up my site
- It doesn't happen all in one session
- I collaborate with others on this work
- (S) Easy to populate wizard
Empty State Orientation Helper
2A / All
Properly orient the user to a tool when it has no data (empty state). An example would be an inbox with no email.
- Where should I start?
- Next step notifier, especially for unpopulated tools
- If I click this link, where will it open?
- (S) Forums, worksite setup, as student; what can I do here?
- (M) Not clear what to do to create a new course
- Should be obvious how to activate tools' initial state
- (M) We immediately wanted to add topic content but our page was not set up to edit by default. Did not notice small "Turn Editing on" button in the upper right
2B / All
A status indicator for time to completion (for things like file upload).
- (S) Progress indicator
- System is working indicator
- How much longer?
1 / All
Display of messages to the user.
- (S) Feedback messaging component?
- Success message
- What I thought I did - I did. Could create a message for this, however, many times this is better done by highlighting and focusing on item if returned to list view
- (U) Error message container
- When session times out, it is not clear what has happened
- When login fails it is difficult to see the error message
- (S) Confirmation manager
- (S) In editor window, ask before close without saving
- (S) Did you really want to do that?
- Warning when about to lose unsaved changes
- May be needed in conjunction with breadcrumbs
- Info meassages
- Users should get info messages about actions - "you created a thingy"
- (M) It wasn't clear whether student roles assigned by the user were accepted/saved into the main page
- (M) When we clicked on the "X" to remove the link we received a message that made us believe we were deleting the entire file from our "Files", not just the resource link to the topic page
1 / All
Help within the user's context.
- (U) Contextual Help
- Often none at all
- If there is, inconsistent and non-holistic
- Difficult to locate
- (S) Pop-up help component
- In resources (uploaded files and edit details), it is unclear what the meanings of many of the data elements are (display name, creator, date created, subject, and keywords)
- (M) User looking into available (uploaded) course resources from this link in the activities box is not given any indication about what type of document is being listed
- (M) The assignment marking help does not properly explain what the dropdown menu does
- (M) Web page entry editor will accept formatted RTF but this is not specified
- (M) Calendar entry types are user or course - not defined, no help, who sees what?
- (M) In course format drop-down menu there are formats that are not described in the contextual help
- (M) When you create an assignment activity, the help menu doesn't explain the various types of assignments possible. You have to create a specific type and then see what it's like