- Personal file manager available from anywhere in application. Main home is probably within My Workspace.
- The file manager allows users to view their files in a navigation or spatial view; with details and without
- User can drag and drop into, out of and within.
- Tagging for files allows users to find files via their tags and others tags. They can search or browse by previous tags (a.k.a. tag cloud). Standard known metadata could be auto-tagged. System knows the difference between my tag and others tags.
- Robust search that not only searches meta-data tags but also document content. It should be simple by default (think Google) but allow users define searches at a fairly granular level.
- Allow users to upload files directly into their file manager and in the context of other activities or working in other tools. While creating a wiki page, allow the user to upload a file. The file should then be accessible from within that same context and from their file manager.
- Allow instructors to display files in a customized display or display, and eventually integrate this display with links to other tools, so that navigation can becoem more lesson-centric and less tool-centric. See A Blue-sky Vision of the Resources Viewer.