- Break application into "chunks" for evaluation (highest priority areas first)
- Create usage scenarios for cognitive walkthroughs
- Individual evaluation by 3 - 5 evaluators
- Synthesize and prioritize findings
- Brainstorm design session (identify conceptual solutions to high priority issues). Are there good component candidates?
- Write and share out report
- Incorporate findings into community (some will drive component development - others can be used for general product development in the communities)
- Sakai - Integrate into requirements group. Do we need to create jira tickets? Are these really "design bugs" conceptually and thus have a different status than requirements?
- Moodle - how does this get fed back into the process?
- uPortal - how do we integrate into their requirements process? Deliver findings to the community?
- Look for pain across applications? Are there issues a component(s) can address well?
Selecting a Target Instance of a Product for Inspection
With complex and flexible products such as uPortal, Sakai, and Moodle, which are highly configurable, customizable, extendable, and responsive to their local institutional environment, defining a test-bed environment for inspection presents some challenges. Some thoughts and suggestions are expressed in: Defining Inspection Targets.
Heuristic evaluation & Cognitive walkthrough reference material:
Jacob Nielsen'sdescription and overview