References: User Testing Protocol
- fluid:Images for users to complete tasks - Required for setup: unzip the file and put the 4 folders on the desktop of machine being used for testing
- fluid:Uploader note taking task sheets - use this for note taking and understanding common flows through tasks
- fluid:User task sheets - give these to users so they have written tasks in front of them -- give them one at time as you read it to them
- fluid:Post-test Questionnare
What courses are you taking that require online submission of assignments?
We're going to ask you to do a bit of role playing here. For these tasks, we'd like you to imagine you are teaching a Nutrition class this semester. It is the beginning of the semester and you'd like to show students a variety of images of foods for a discussion of their nutritional value. You'll be putting these images from folders on your desktop onto the image gallery webpage we'll take you to in a moment. [http://build.fluidproject.org:8080/sakai-imagegallery2-web/site/AddImages/]
choose an image of your favorite fruit from the "Fruit" folder on your desktop and put it onto the image gallery web page.
Now choose images of your 5 favorite vegetables from the "Vegetable" folder on your desktop
<ac:structured-macro ac:name="unmigrated-wiki-markup" ac:schema-version="1" ac:macro-id="ca0182b1-604e-4b16-9e50-35118cf3d0de"><ac:plain-text-body><![CDATA[
Now I'd like you to upload the rest of the lecture slides, 5 - 12. [Let them hit upload and then...] While the files are being uploaded, you realize you didn't mean to upload lecture slides 11 & 12. What do you do?
<ac:structured-macro ac:name="unmigrated-wiki-markup" ac:schema-version="1" ac:macro-id="96da0f44-14d1-408a-a4bf-5df6d473848f"><ac:plain-text-body><![CDATA[
[Before they hit done preferably, ask them] Now I'd like to upload 3 more of the assignments files. Please show me how you would upload 3 more files?
Notes for Test Coordinator
Offering help during the test
Don't offer help; let the user attempt to perform the task themselves. If they ask for help reply with:
- "What do you think you/that would do?"
- "What do you think that means (e.g. remove, checkmark, warning sign icons)?"
and put them onto the image gallery web page.
Now, please put all the images of fruit from the "Fruit" folder onto the image gallery web page. [fluid:There should be an error message saying that some of the files have already been uploaded and asking if they should be replaced or if the action should be canceled (I'm guessing that's what happens...)] What would you do now?
***This is a placeholder for a task that gives the user an error message and an opportunity to cancel or retry. We need to determine if we can complete development to make this happen. The retry isn't implemented yet. You can see the retry in storyboards (http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Uploader+Storyboard+-+Upload+with+Error)
Now put all the images from the "Misc." folder on the desktop onto the image gallery web page. [fluid:As soon as they start the upload, tell them...] Actually, that was not the folder you meant to upload from/not the images you meant to upload. What would you do to stop this particular task and move onto another?
Your last task is to put the images for three herbs and meats of your choice onto the image gallery web page. [fluid:Want to see if they user the "add more" to select from multiple folders]
Have the user fill this out on their own before asking them the post-test questions below.
NOTE: Ask these after the user has filled out the post-test questionnaire.
- Did you notice you could upload several files at once? If so, how did you know that?
- Did you see any indication of the progress of your activity?
- What did you think of adding files from multiple folders? Was it easy to do?
- Could you tell how much longer the upload would take? Was that important for you to know?
- Did you know when the file(s) had been uploaded successfully? How?
- Did you encounter any error messages? Were they helpful in telling you what to do next?
- What did you like most about using this tool to upload files?
- What did you like least about it?
- Is there anything else you'd like to tell
- us about your
- experience putting images onto the image gallery page?
|title||MORE ON FILE UPLOADER|
- Do you have any suggestions for how it could have worked better for you?
Note title Facilitation Tips
- Ask the participant to think aloud.
- Help the participant to speak freely
- Distance yourself from the product.
- Don't react.
- Don't interrupt.
- Don't draw attention to specific issues that you care about.
- Don't ask leading questions.
- Don't lead with your note-taking (meaning only taking notes when the participant does something interesting).
- Don't help
- Test the system, not the user
- Capture themes, not every action
- Thank your participants