- Ubuntu 9.10 (32-bit is recommended for stability, 64-bit is possible)
- Decapod Release 0.3
- Ocropus X.X (link to installation instructions)
- Fluid Infusion X.X
- Firefox 3.x
- Two supported cameras attached to system using USB cables (for camera capture).
- A vertical thumbnail navigator listing images currently in the project.
- A larger preview area displaying the currently selected thumbnail in higher resolution.
- Keyboard navigation of image thumbnails
- Reordering of image order by keyboard and mouse
- Delete an image by using keyboard or mouse (appropriate warning dialog displayed)
- Capture images using two cameras that support remote capture
- Activate capture process using mouse or keyboard
- Detect supported and unsupported cameras, and give an appropriate diagnosis to the user
- Automatically crop a pair of captured images.
- Automatically join a pair of captured images to create a page spread equivalent.
- Ability to import all images from a single directory on the local disk.
- Ability to import all images from a single directory and all its sub-directories on the local disk.
- Ability to import images from memory card of cameras that do not support remote capture, but has USB transfer support.
- Export the collection of images as single pages in the following formats:
- multipage TIFF
- image PDF
- image PDF with OCR text
- image PDF with OCR text and token compression
- Display a status message confirming a successful:
- Export to PDF
- Export to TIFF
- Capture from cameras
- Importing of images
- Deletion of image
- Token compressed PDF may result in skewed or misaligned text.
- Automatic cropping may not properly identify the page frame. As a result:
- Thumbnails and images of pages captured in Decapod may not be cleanly cropped and therefore may look strange on the interface.
- quality of OCR text generation may be affected by anomalies in uncropped regions.
- Two images captured through Decapod's capture system may not merge in a perfectly aligned manner.
- Camera support:
- Decapod supports capturing from cameras listed on the gPhoto's list of supported remote cameras (http://www.gphoto.org/doc/remote/)
- Decapod supports importing of images from memory of attached cameras that are listed on the gPhoto Supported Cameras page (http://gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php)
- The above lists for remote and supported cameras are not exhaustive. There may be other brands and models not listed that will work with Decapod.
To achieve the best output results, the source images should be clean, uniform, and appropriately cropped. This can be done outside of Decapod, and then imported to Decapod to produce the appropriate Export format.
Known Improvements for Next Release
- Ability for the user to specify the content area of captured pages. This will improve:
- OCR text results.
- token based compression for PDF export.
- thumbnails and preview images
Feb. 4 - 18
OCRopus and Decapod are in full development mode
Test deploy of Decapod on servers, help with QA, final deployment