Feb. 4 - 25
Wish list, tasking, release plan; define what is in the release.
Feb. 26 - March 16
Open coding on new features; prioritizing "blockers" or features that are requirements for the release
time to slow down and focus on the details of the whole product across layers
Only blocker bug fixes
A thorough QA cycle has to be completed
Tying it all up: release packaging, demo install, and announcements
Decapod 0.3 Design
Week by Week Plan
Week 1: March 1 - 5
Working with camera hardware
Detect cameras (using gPhoto) - 1d
Capture images (using gPhoto) - 1d
User interaction and image processing
Run crop & stitch process - 1d
Add progress dialog, page order dialog, and status message - 1d
Bring current styling inline with 0.2 Visual Design
Have Decapod span vertical space - 1d
Right justify menu links in Header - 0.5d
Add Export button to footer - 0.1d
Create page placeholders for empty book - 0.5d
Week 2: March 8 - 12
Import & Export
Import files from the local filesystem - 1.5d
Import files from a locally attached camera - 0.5d
Export images to PDF/TIFF - 2d
Syncing the server and client models - 1d
Styling: Rounding the Corners
Round the corners of thumbnails - 1d
Round corners of buttons - 1d
Styling: Dialog Box Styling
Style dialog box for Delete - 0.5d
Style dialog box for Camera Detection - 0.5d
Style status message notification - 0.5d
Week 3: March 15 - 16
Accessibility improvements - 2d
Decapod Release Summary
- Ubuntu 9.10 (32-bit is recommended for stability, 64-bit is possible)(because of the way 3rd party libraries use ints)
- Decapod application (including OCRopus and Fluid Infusion elements)
- Firefox 3.x
- Two supported cameras attached to system using USB cables (for camera capture).
- Book Liberator and your favorite bound book
- Two cameras, two tripods and two flat sheets of paper
- A vertical thumbnail navigator listing images currently in the project.
- A larger preview area displaying the currently selected thumbnail in higher resolution.
- Keyboard navigation of image thumbnails
- Reordering of image order by keyboard or mouse
- Delete an image by using keyboard or mouse (appropriate warning dialog displayed)
- Display a status message confirming a successful deletion of image
- Basic Help page describing how to get started, export to files, and camera support.
- Capture images using two cameras that support remote capture (also see Limitations)
- Activate capture process using mouse or keyboard
- Detect supported and unsupported cameras, and give an appropriate diagnosis to the user
- Display a status message confirming a successful capture
- Automatically crop a pair of captured images.
- Automatically join a pair of captured images to create a page spread equivalent.
- Ability to import all images from a single directory on the local disk.
- Ability to import all images from a single directory and all its sub-directories on the local disk.
- Ability to import images from memory card of cameras that do not support remote capture, but has USB transfer support. (also see Limitations)
- Display a status message confirming a successful import
- Export the collection of images as single pages in the following formats:
- multipage TIFF
- image PDF
- image PDF with OCR text
- image PDF with OCR text and token compression (also see Limitations)
- Display a status message confirming a successful:
- Export to PDF
- Export to TIFF
- Token compressed PDF may result in skewed or misaligned text.
- Automatic cropping may not properly identify the page frame. As a result:
- Thumbnails and images of pages captured in Decapod may not be cleanly cropped and therefore may look strange on the interface.
- quality of OCR text generation may be affected by anomalies in uncropped regions.
- Two images captured through Decapod's capture system may not stitch together in a manner such that all the content is aligned as expected.
- Camera support:
- Decapod supports capturing from cameras listed on the gPhoto's list of supported remote controllable cameras (http://www.gphoto.org/doc/remote/)
- Decapod supports importing of images from memory of attached cameras that are listed on the gPhoto Supported Cameras page (http://gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php)
- The above lists for remote and supported cameras are not exhaustive. There may be other brands and models not listed that will work with Decapod.
- Perspective and page dewarping is not possible in this release.
To achieve the best output results for this 0.3 release, the source images should be clean, uniform, and appropriately cropped. This can be done outside of Decapod, and then imported to Decapod to produce the appropriate Export format.
Known Improvements for Next Release
- Ability for the user to specify the content area of captured pages. This will improve:
- OCR text results.
- token based compression for PDF export.
- thumbnails and preview images
Known Improvements for Future Releases
- Page dewarping when capturing using two cameras.
- 3D stereoscopic capture