This guide will give you a quick tour of the capabilities of Decapod 0.3, and how to use it.
This guide assumes you have Decapod 0.3 properly installed and running on your system. To do this, please see the Download and Install Decapod 0.3 document.
After you have downloaded and installed Decapod 0.3 and all its related components, start the Decapod server by running this at the command line:
If you do not have cameras, you can still get a sense of what Decapod will offer by using the mock server. The mock server mimics capturing from cameras without having actual cameras attached.
To run the mock server:
Limitation: Keep in mind that the mock server does not support exporting to PDF.
Once the Decapod server is running, open Firefox and enter the following address:
Upon loading you should see the Decapod interface.
The Decapod interface is divided up into three main regions:
- The thumbnail browser: contains all the book pages already captured.
- Image preview area: shows the currently selected thumbnail in more detail.
- Capture controls: takes pictures using a pair of supported cameras attached to the system and adds it to the list of pages already captured.
To begin capturing images using cameras attached to the system:
- Turn on the cameras.
- Press the "Take Picture" button.
The system will detect the cameras attached to ensure they are indeed supported.
If both cameras are supported, then each camera will take a picture in turn.
After a period of time which the system processes the images, the images will be added to the thumbnail browser.
If one or more cameras are not supported by Decapod, will see a message prompting you to attach a pair of supported cameras:
Limitation: Unfortunately, if you do not have access to two compatible cameras, you will not be able to use the capture feature in Decapod.
There are a few known issues related to capturing images.
- The "Try Again" button does not work. To work around this, close the dialog and press the "Take Picture" button again.
- Taking pictures is slow. The project will work on improving the performance of the system.
Exporting to PDF