Summer 2007 Fluid Summit
Overivew goes here
Goals and Expectations
This is a working meeting, etc.
1. UX Walk-throughs
By August, we intend to have completed a first round of user interface walk-throughs of at least Sakai and perhaps uPortal. The August summit will give us an opportunity to review the material gathered, refine our protocol and reporting process, and prioritize the issues collected to date.
- Refinement of walk-through protocols and reporting process
- Review and synthesis issues gathered to date
- Synthesize cross-cutting UX issues across projects
- Discuss and refine accessibility heuristics
- Spend one full day actually doing collaborative walk-throughs This might be more like a few hours given everything else on the list. After thinking this through over the weekend we may want to replace it with "design brainstorm" - Identify components as solutions to cross-cutting UX issues. Create design plan for next components (how much do we already know about users needs, standards, design patterns, scenarios of use, etc.?, what tasks will be most useful for this problem? workflow analysis, design pattern work, testing, etc.)
- Share results out with the community
- If time permits (lower priority than
2. Component Design Process
As we look towards designing new Fluid UI components, we need to plan a basic process and set of criteria for designing them in a fully usable and accessible way. We'll review Daphne Ogle's proposal for this process, and then share our recommendations for how best to design Fluid components.
- Daphne will present a proposal for a working process for future component development
- Discuss persona and scenario requirements for component development
- Share out a set of recommendations for design process with the community
3. User Testing
As components like the Lightbox begin to mature, we need to ensure that our work is regularly tested for usability and accessibility by real users. Shaw-Han Liem will present his test plan for the Lightbox, and Mike Elledge and Daphne Ogle will present a proposal for long-term user testing strategies within Fluid.
- Daphne and Mike Elledge will present a proposal for user testing vision and protocol
- Shaw-Han and Daphne will present a user test plan for the Lightbox
- Refinement of the plan
- Delegate distributed, in-context testing of the Lightbox
- Identify upcoming priorities for user testing within Fluid
4. Review UX Deliverables and Create a UX Release Plan
The community needs a stated release deliverables for the Designer's Toolkit and other user experience activities. The group will review our stated project deliverables, prioritize them, and draft a UX release plan for review by the Fluid community at large.
- Go through the UX deliverables as stated to Mellon
- Assess, prioritize, and delegate responsibility
- Share a draft UX Release Plan with the community