Presenters: Francesca (Law & Design Colab)
In January 2018, the Ontario government released a Standard Form Lease for residential tenancies. This was a great step towards promoting fairness in residential leases. However, we believe the document itself can be better-designed and made more accessible.
Inspired by the UK’s redesign project for residential tenancies in 2014, we are engaging legal experts, advocates and community members in a co-design process to develop a digital-first re-design of the Standard Form Lease that is accessible, interactive, and grounded in community concerns and realities.
- Law and Design CoLab
- It is a Civic Tech project
- An entirely volunteer non-profit group
- An interdisciplinary teem
- Mission to promote design thinking and cross-sector collaboration in Ontario's Justice sector
- Civic Tech
- a multidisplicnary group of designers and developers
- been meeting meeting weekly in Toronto for the past few years.
- Ontario Standard Form Lease Redesign
- came out in 2014
- it's a fillable PDF that took over a year of consultation to produce
- the hope is that standardization will make it easier to understand
- however it's not what the advocates had actually wanted
- in practical use landlords still use their own rent document and attach this form as an appendix
- digital, accessible, interactive, connected to resources
- short timeline
- full prototype in Figma
- will include design language including contrasts and etc
- language updated
- user testing using Figma or vision