N.B.: Hugues moderated this participant, as P's primary language is French. Notes were taken late in session as I was holding the video camera most of the time till it ran out of batteries.
I. Reality testing
P refers to participant. M refers to moderator. Quotes are paraphrased, not verbatim. Notes/observations in round brackets. Initial analyses in square brackets.
- Searched for object information through exhibitions
- Did not find object code entry option till much later (did Hugues have to identify the option?)
Made a conceptual connection between the device catalogue theme sections and sections within the physical space [catalogue theme sections weren't intended to navigate through the sections of the physical space]
- Eventually found the object code entry screen, and found an object code label
- Was explicitly aware about both at the same time, but didn't make a full connection; didn't think the connection was obvious between the two
- When watching a video, difficulty finding the volume controls on the case of the device, and inadvertently changed the orientation of the video
Ended up watching video in portrait mode (video aspect ratio more ideal for landscape) [can we force orientation?]
- Participant spent a lot, possibly most (seemed like 80%+), of his time looking at the device and not the space, largely because he was having difficulty making the connection between the objects virtually and physically (i.e., difficulty in finding objects)
[we really need to make the application simple---/cantreadmywriting/... affects physical space]