We use persona scales to analyze user goals, behaviors and attributes from user research. The activity goes something like this:
- Identify goals, behaviors and attributes we learned about in our contextual inquiries (particularly where there are distinctions between users we talked to).
- Place the above on a continuum with either end representing the extremes we learned about (not that exist but that we specifically learned about in our research).
- Place each user research participant on each continuum.
- Look for patterns where the people we talked to end up being grouped together often. Circle the patterns -- each group in a different color works well.
- Each grouping identifies an archetype / persona.